T20 World Cup 2022: Check The Rules How Winners Are Declared If a Semi-final or Final Match Gets Washed Out Due To Rain
The ongoing T20 World Cup is finally reaching it’s end as India, Pakistan, England and New Zealand emerged as the four semi-finalists for this tournament. Team India topped the table from Group 2 as they will face England in pursuit of the final at the Adelaide Oval on Thursday. On the other hand, Pakistan who miraculously qualified from Group 2 will take on New Zealand on Wednesday at the Sydney Cricket.
Rain has been the biggest villain in the T20 World Cup this year, washing out multiple matches. Though the rain curse hasn’t been as deadly in Group 2, in Group 1, it has seen some important matches being abandoned, leading to a chaotic situation from the semi-finals qualification perspective.
However, In group stage, both teams have shared 1 point in a NR game but if the game gets washed out in knockout stage, who will be declared as winners? Here in this article, we will have a look on how winners are declared if a semi-final (or) final game of T20 WC 2022 gets washed out.
T20 WC 2022 Knockout schedule:
- Semi-Final 1 at Sydney, 9th Nov (1:30 PM IST)
- Semi-Final 2 at Adelaide, 10th Nov (1:30 PM IST)
- Finals at Melbourne, 13th Nov (1:30 PM IST)
What will happen if the semifinal or final match of T20 WC 2022 gets washed out due to rain?
- If a semi-final or final game is washed out, a reserve day will be scheduled for that game at the same venue. On the reserve day, the match will be continued from the same position.
- If the reserve day is also washed out, the team in first place in the points table will be proclaimed the semi-finals winner.
- The final game on November 13th will have a reserve day in case of rain, but if the match is also washed out on the reserve day, both finalists will be crowned joint-winners of T20 WC 2022 by ICC.
NOTE: In the 2002 Champions Trophy final match, the match was washed on both match and reserve days, thus both Sri Lanka and India were declared joint winners.